Silent TLMS - Tyre Lifecycle Management System
Tyre Lifecycle Management starts with a unique identity for the tyre that lets people track and trace its physical location at a given moment in time throughout the supply chain, from manufacture to distribution, warehousing, usage, repair, retread and recycle at the end of its usable life - not for its performance (for that you need to pair it with a sensor) but as an asset.
The way this is done historically is to imprint a Tyre ID on the tyre itself, either during the manufacture process or afterwards by the end user, with location data written down in a log, which may or not be a single log as it passes from hand to hand. RFID Tags with readers is an electronic system designed to replace the manual process of recording time, location, reporter.
Digital traceability provides a low cost route to track a tyre throughout its life. This improves supplier efficiencies, reduces errors in recording data, reduces the risk of loss, keeps inventories balanced, integrates with a whole ecosystem of management systems and serves as a Certificate of Provenance for the eventual recycling of the tyre at the end of its life.
What is driving demand?
- The connectability of tags, sensors and controls (Internet of Things)
- Falling cost of tags and sensors, rise of the smartphone, ubiquity of big data
- Manage tyres properly to increase service life by up to 30%
- Reduce legal liabilities (20% of truck accidents caused by bad tyres)
- Reduce premature damage (€90 per tyre according to Bridgestone’s research)
- Squeeze value out of the tyre through its life to recycling (the Circular Economy)
- The transformation of tyre makers, OEMs and distributors into service companies
- Public policy regarding health, safety, fuel economy, emissions, climate change
- Autonomous driving, especially for truck fleets.
Who is interested in Tyre Lifecycle Management?
- Tyre Makers
- OEM Truck & Car Makers
- Fleet Owners
- Re-moulders & Re-treaders
- Fleet Management System providers
- Government Agencies
What do they gain?
- More competitive offering
- Lower operational costs
- Greater productivity
- Reduced loss/risk/liability
- Higher value at end of life
- Higher margins
- Improved public health
- More control over climate change
Silent TLMS Solution Characteristics
- Designed for tyres of both light and heavy vehicles
- RFID Tag fixed as inlay or patch to identify and track the tyre
- Reader transmits signal through UHF 2.4 GHz
- Data received from the Tag is process in the dedicated reader and sent to the smartphone via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)
- Smartphone Silent Track+Trace App displays current status and tyre log
- Data sent by GSM from Silent Track+Trace App to the Cloud for storing
- Open API via the Cloud for integration with any TPMS, TMS, FMS, ERP
- Dashboard for management of tyre during its lifetime (TLMS)
- Champion example of the Circular Economy
Silent TLMS Solution Components
- RFID Tags for each tyre (Inlay or Patch)
- Industrial RFID readers sending UHF signal to Tags
- Smartphone App to read tag data received from readers, add geolocation, time, user data, send to Cloud
- Cloud databases for storing RFID data sent
- Dashboard for managing the tyre's lifecycle as an asset
- Optional - Rugged smartphone for in-field personnel to use